The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Senior Software Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS or similar from a four-year college or university (preferred) or the equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
- 5+ years of directly relevant experience.
- Advanced skill in all of the following:
- Database / Microsoft Visual Studio
- Familiarity with 3rd party integration preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft and Lotus Notes email data preferred, along with other email archive structures and file-bound file systems, including PST, NSF, ZIP, RAR, TAR, etc.
- The ability to reverse engineer undocumented file formats preferred.
- Understanding of encryption, compression, and similar techniques preferred.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP networking protocols and SSL/TLS a plus.
- Experience with Unix or Linux operating systems a plus.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior research, analytical, problem-solving and decision-making ability.
- Ability to work independently and as a strong member of a cohesive and collaborative team.
- The ability to multi-task and consistently meet deadlines.
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage competing demands and ongoing changes.
- A strong work ethic including initiative, self-motivation and dependability.
The RolePosition Overview
Reporting to the Development Manager, as Senior Software Engineer, you will perform complex design and implementation of back-end support for forensic or eDiscovery software, in addition to bug verification, release testing, research and analysis, and some architectural design.
We have two in-house teams of engineers; one working on middle-tier projects in HTML using Angular and C# and the other focused heavily on the backend. You will join the backend team known as the Performance Scalability team, consisting of four developers. We also have another team working on our Forensic projects, and you can expect to work between these two teams. You’ll assist with everything from performance and scalability to our agent which is a C++ app. You’ll also do base code which are often times reverse engineering projects. We’re looking for an engineer who is comfortable moving around different projects and helping out wherever needed. You will have the opportunity to make your mark in multiple areas.
More specifically, you will:
- Develop and design, implement, integrate and maintain cross-platform, multi-threaded software components that operate in a network environment.
- Reverse engineer binaries, file formats, protocols, etc. for interoperability with files ystems, databases, mailboxes, internet artifacts, and more.
- Conduct unit testing of component functionality following established testing processes or procedures.
- Troubleshoot complex software applications utilizing diagnostic skills related to software and hardware setup, database management, data analysis, networking, and operating system configuration.
- Research problems discovered by QA or product support and provide acceptable problem resolution.
- Recognize product marketing requirements including target environments, performance criteria and competitive issues. Research and identify new technologies and developmental tools.
- Prepare critical technical documentation. Provide valuable input to associated team.
- Collaborate extensively in problem resolution while contributing to a growing knowledge network that improves the effectiveness of our products and provides valuable information to our customers.
- Research and identify new technologies and developmental tools.
- Participate in ongoing code reviews and design meetings.
- Adhere to and/or enforce established policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Video: Summation is the first and only web-based solution that combines native and image ingestion, data processing, early case assessment, case organizer, transcript management and final review in a single platform— entirely eliminating the need for iterative processing, data loading and repetitive review cycles. Offered as a stand-alone, appliance or as a component of AD eDiscovery, Summation covers the post data collection stages of the e-discovery process as well as transcript and case management functionality. Summation is one of the products on which you'll be working.
Why AccessData GroupProfessional development
While you will come in with strong skills, the depth and breadth of this role will provide plenty of opportunities to continue to develop your skill set. From working with talented peers to working with a wide range of technologies, you are bound to enhance and continue to develop your skills.
New and improved products
You will enjoy a good deal of variety as you help support the back-end and improve our core products. You will also bring your strong ideas to the table and influence decision making around the projects on which you'll work.
Work/life balance & flexibility
We work hard but also believe there should be a strong balance between our personal and professional lives. That balance helps us stay sharp and committed. Typical work hours are between 8 to 5, which we adhere to most of the time. Of course, there are exceptions when we have new releases, so you'll need a commitment to meeting deadlines. Of course, once you are fully acclimated, and if you work in our Utah corporate offices, you will have the opportunity to work from home on occasion.
Great cultures & environment
We take pride in the culture and environment we've built as AccessData Group. We encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing across different teams, and the nature of your role allows you the opportunity to work with a variety of stakeholders. We're also proactive about recognizing success and milestones. We host social events throughout the year, such as summer picnics, impromptu BBQs and other events, holiday parties and more. We like to have fun and enjoy a collaborative, smaller company atmosphere. Our environment is business casual. These are just some of the reasons we have a high number of long-tenured employees. People like working here!
We know our solutions are great, but it's also affirming to get industry recognition. For example, in October 2016 SC Magazine gave AccessData's FTK (Forensic Tool Kit) a five-star seal of approval for the third year in a row.
Though we have a strong reputation and have been in business for more than 30 years, we're not resting on our laurels. We're undergoing a strong growth initiative and anticipate that growth to continue. Growth could equal additional opportunities for our proven performers.
National Security is a hot and critical topic these days. You can feel good knowing that your efforts are supporting agencies that keep America safe.
Supporting the community
AccessData has a strong sense of corporate responsibility, as you can see in the video. In addition, we encourage employees to do their part. For example, if you're planning to race for the cure, let HR know and we'll see how we may assist with covering registration fees. Want to take time off to participate in charitable events? AccessData will cover up to 2 days paid time off so you can give back to your community.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision and prescription drug plans; flexible spending accounts; health savings account with employer contributions; 401(k) and Roth plans with discretionary match; paid time off; a wellness program; tuition reimbursement and more.
Video: An innovative program launched by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations division and the National Association to Protect Children (PROTECT) is training wounded vets to become forensic examiners. The Human Exploitation Rescue Operative (HERO) Child Rescue Corps program trains vets to fight child sexual exploitation. AccessData provides free licenses to our Forensic Tool Kit (FTK) for training and into the first year of an investigator's work.
Keys to SuccessTo be successful in this role, you should be adept at learning what is already in place then applying your knowledge and talent to move the needle. Naturally, you will bring outstanding technical skills to the table, but you will also be an excellent communicator capable of building strong relationships across the organization. You should be able to collaborate effectively with those on site in Lindon, as well as those working remotely or from other offices.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Senior Software Engineer, you will have:
- The ability to take constructive feedback from code reviews
- The drive and desire to take ownership of your responsibilities, consistently delivering your best work in a timely manner
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage competing demands and changing priorities; a deadline driven mindset
- The ability to work independently while also taking a team-oriented approach to your role
- An open, collaborative and personable manner -- we work hard, but also enjoy our work
- Thrive in a busy, fast-paced environment with multiple projects underway simultaneously
- Have a passion for your work